Long, long ago…

Diepeldesdorff, Dippelsdorff, Dippolsdorff, Dippelsdorf, Diepoldsdorf, Dippelsdorf, Klasztorna Wieś and finalny Przeździedza. This is how at the turn of almost eight centuries names of the little village situated at the foot of two mountains– Góra Folwarczna (347 n.p.m m.) and Grodziny (372 n.p.m m.) has been changing. Once dynamically acting village, with the impressive manor house, own school, the brewery, two distilleries, a watermill, the tannery, even with three inns. Oh yes- in our Przeździedza u could go to inn. So it’s not surprising new that compared with 84 inhabitants which at present moment can call themselves as native people from Przeździedza, in 1840 native inhabitants of Dippelsdorf was 4 times more, because 357. So there were people who were attendint to those inns. But now alomost noone remebers that time…

Begginig

But noone can tell when exactly Przeździedza came into being. However the first mention about the village appeared in 1371year. But it it isn’t obvious what was its earlier history. Some authors suppose those areas could belong to Liebenthals from Lubomierz. Jutta, widow after von Liebenthal, in 1278 year funded the monastery of benedictine nuns, which she had remunerated into areas on the right broad of Bóbr, near to Bełczyna and Przeździedza. Perhaps a monastery located the village. Anyway it is possible that the settlement turned up here because of the castellany from Wleń, because according to other studies Benedictine nuns from Lubomierz purchased the village not until 1512 year.

Without distinction of the way how village came into beeing, its geographical position negatively affected its development. Despite everything, people settled here, they had families here, they built houses – the village was slowly expanding. Even a monastic manor farm was made here, in which in XVII in. a manor house was erected. In 1765 year you could find here 4 peasants, 10 crofters, 31 cottagers and 11 craftsmen and only 6 free (!) people.

Golden Age

Later history of this place is speeding up a little. In 1805 year village administrator, Bernhard,Scharffenberg gave 200 thalers on the building new school. Five years later a secularization of monastic goods took place and Przeździedza became a member of the foundation subordinated to the camera (in that time cameras were bodies of administrative-tax authorities) which next sold the village. In 1825 owner of Przeździedza was a retired cavalry captain – baron von Reichenbach. Przeździedza looked really impressively in that time. The village had 62 houses, in the centre of the village there was a beautiful manor house, it was also possible to find two manor farms, schools – for people of two differebt creeds and evangelical. Moreover there was also a brewery, watermill, mill for grinding the oaken bark and tannery. And that’s not all – to Przeździedza belonged also Piaskowiec with 7 houses and Skowronek in which the manor farm with the sheepfold.

In 1840 the owner of this wonderful place was still baron a von Reichenbach. At that time in Przeździedza 3 inns were made, and among inhabitants you could meet craftsmen and tradesmen. Anyway the majority of inhabitants made a living by the outwork weaving.

Probably in 1862 the village was bought by Herman Neuning (Reuning). In hands of his descendants Przeździedza satyed to 1945 year. In 1870 you could find here a quarry, well-known from appearing of amethysts and rocks (crystals) there.

After 1945 a lot of people had been gone from here, so the number of inhabitants fell down for the half. In palace buildings was located PGR (a big farm which belonged to the country). Since then number of inhabitants in Przeździedza was decreasing, and the village plunged into specific hibernation. It has some advantages – the village preserved the primary spatial arrangement and the majority of buildings. Those buildings are characterized by a specyfic structure. A great age of these houses and their unique structure decided that most of them is in a list of vintage buildings. Inhabitants are starting appreciating these advantages and less and less often you can see those house bending down to the earth. Walking on the main road through Przeździedza it is worthwhile to take your attention into houses with black beams and try to move back in the time … And this place is so magic that even without closing your eyes moving back in time is unusually simple – because in this place forgotten by the civilization the time just simply slowed down for us.

Based on : Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów t. 7, Wrocław 2001

Well without water

This place is hidden among old trees and it’s hard to find it despite it’s only few dozen meters from road among fields. The well is situated near to ruins, where during Second World War was a seat of big farm. Today in that place there is only a lot of weeds, rubble and old beautiful basements. But only small part of those basements maintained, and that what we still have is keep destroying.

This place for many years attracts treasure hunters, especially those whom know, that somewhere in surroundings, a few years ago, somebody reached the large and rich hided place called „ the crack ”. From there people took out for example Faberge’s eggs. Probably therefore these surroundings are still intensively penetrated, and walls of basements of an ancient dwelling house are keep searching through in quest of fining a secret passage.

Piwnice w jednym z budynków (dawny folwark w Przeździedzy)Special secret of that place are wells. In that area there are 4 wells that kind. Two of them are covered by ruins in the way which requires a lot of money to uncover it. To next one (after removing big boulders) with some difficulties you could go into. Last one is still open and well preserved. It’s hidden near the wall of old house, it still has stoned brickwork all along it perfect shape. A few years ago from that well were taken out 2 German motorcycles ( after decomposing they were in good condition). And it’s not surprising new if you notice that well is deep on 16 meters is totally dry and ventilated somehow…

Disappearing command

Treasure hunters affiliated in TALP and its chairman, M. Bojko, about existing of the wells with no bottom in Przeździedza surroundings heard a long time ago. M. Bojoko admits that establishing the exact location of the well took long time for him. Information which he got, were quite accurate, but they required searching a few slopes in Przeździedza and Marczów surrounding . But he doesn’t regret his time, because conversations with many people managed to get a few important information about what had happened here at the end of the war. From historical sources you can know only that this area was occupied only by German armies and any significant battles took place here. Anyway until the end of the war you could find here quite a lot soldiers who probably were busy doing not-military works.

Gehrard Knabe, non-commissioned officer of German 52th Corps, after 1957 was coming in this area many time and he was telling that on the east from Marczów, in the mountains, there was a seat of German command. He was telling that he get interested in disappearing of some officers in the woods in winter 1944 almost every day. And when they were coming back from other side – from side of Przeździedza ( which is on the another shore of Bóbr). When several weeks had passed he knew that this area is like molehill in which people for a long time were looking for gold and some minerals. So it was easy for him to guess that the seat of the staff was some kind old mine.
Kanabe mentioned that one upon a time pitting with Beer He asked Rother sol dier (his friend) how it is possibile that some soldies from Staff disappear In Marczów and come back from the other border of Bóbr without going tere by bridge. He recalled that question made soldier who had duties in Przeździedza very often in panic. Knabe knew at the time only about that some soldeires who are disappearing in Marczów are coming straight form underground in Przeździedza. They come out straight from… the well.
Knabe in 70’s was telling that before he left in 1945 on frontline, one of the soldiers told him that somewhere around in big undergrounds there is not only staff’s seat but also warehouse of weapons, ammunition and other military hardware. After the war during one meeting for old war friends he knew also that after his leaving on frontline, on railway station in Marczów stated to come closely guarded single railway wagons. Unloading of them was top secret. Supposedly noone knew what was inside of them.

Knabe who last time In Marczów and Przeździedza was in 1988 didn’t hide that his forest walks had only one purpose. He wanted to find those entrances into undergrounds. A witness who wa stalking with Knabe in 1988 said that he couldn’t find none of it. Supposedly He told that He localized one well without water, which suited to stores about soldiers coming out from underground. The German told also he will be back to that place and he will go into the well. Anyway more than 11 years no one met him in Marczów.

Wejście do studni (dawny folwark w Przeździedzy)War lovers

Henryk S. comes from Tarnów. He got on works to Germany in 1943. He was quite lucky, because he got to work in big farm in Marczów. His bauer officially was very strict bit his slaves many times indeed he didn’t hurt anyone too much. Moreover when Henryk S. started dating with one German girl from neighbourhood he just warned that “someday it will not end good”. The girl was saying they are safe because he knew well one SS-man – son of the most richest man in this area who lived in Przeździedza. Her attitude was almost impudent.

Henryk S. knew what consequences can meet him and his girlfriend for that love perfectly. He tried to be careful. But in this relationship the girl ruled . She was from the village – she knew people.

On spring 1945 bad luck had happen. At the end of March German told to many families to evacuate and they punish them to leave. Those who had families around had to move to their houses. Rest of people had to move into school building in that area. The staff told that after few more days they will know what is going to happen next. Henryk S. about resettlement knew from his girlfriend. She also told him that Russians are already near to Wrocław. He decided to wait, hoping that with Russians will come freedom. Together with him in big barn the girl stayed as well. They survived the night. In the morning when they saw that village is empty and from the window on the attic they couldn’t see any soldiers the girl decided to go to home to take some more clothes and food. For her own security she choose to go by secret paths which knew only her. Henryk S. from the widow on the attic saw the body of his girlfriend on the road surrounded by soldiers. He couldn’t do anything at all. He could only have a hope the girl was killed before she told she wasn’t alone.

Transports

From the window on the attic Henryk S. could see some part of railway station and railway tracks where he could see from time to time new wagons. He was the witness who noticed that on the station there were coming big trock surrounded by motorcyclists. He got interested about that and also made the reasons of resettlement clear. Nevertheless the distance to station was quite big he saw that from the wagons something is put into track and they are going to Przeździedza under escort. He was awre that truck go somewhere around the farm which belonged to SS-man’s father (the friend of his girlfriend). As he also told then he understood that man was at home because that big transport came.

Henryk S. died a few years ago in Wrocław. As he told after the war has finished he has never been in that area, but M. Bojko is telling that remembers localization of that place excellent and place of those 4 wells as well. That man admitted also that under those wells near to slope where the farm was the truck were disappearing. Henryk S. about whole situation speaks reluctantly. Supposedly he never told how he escaped and survived until the end of war. People said about him that he lived poor life, but at one he built a couple of houses near Tarnów. They say he got inheritance from America.

From where it is blowing

JOne from available now Wells Has 16 meters of depth and is totally dry. People from TALPA say that the well is more deep indeed. Its covered by rubble (no one knows how deep) and removing of it is possible only with help of special machines. But of course it’s very expensive. Trial of leaving stones into the well proved that stones are at least couple of meters high. And no one knows what’s under it. All we know that took out of here motorcycles were hidden under stones on the bottom. And they were in good condition, because M. Bojoko says on the bottom there is soft … draught. Walls of well are in perfect shape what means that it’s impossible to wind behind them. And burning match says it’s sure the wind is somewhere down.

To check from where it’s blowing you need special equipment which would allow us to get to the real well bottom. And we would have to remove tons of stones. How many tones no one can tell. Or maybe someone know if he did so big work to hide under those stones a couple of old, german, rusty weapon. But it was covered in the way that everyone who would start to penetrate the well will have to find that scrap yard. Was it only comfort for hunters? Or maybe some kind of sign…

There are only a few serious notes about existence in this area big undergrounds – old mines, which during the war was used to military works. In the opinion of those who went into dry well it was just an element of those much bigger undergrounds not just a place to take water. The say that its impossible that on this wet full of water slope there was no water on that depth. So if there is no water there are possible only two explanations. Or this place has extra geological property or this well has its bottom much lower than level of stones. And outflow in the bottom. This place is just a perfect place to build some underground system with discharge stack. That’s why we can be sure that on its bottom air is “blowing” and it has significant meaning.

Okna od piwnicy (dawny folwark w Przeździedzy)Not so „ the end of the world ”

Marczów and Przeździedza also today are aside of big and main routes. It’s quite big problem for citizens because it’s hard to find job and everywhere is far away. But exactly this location “at the end of the world” had its good sides at the end of the war. That’s why someone decided to hide in peasant house precious collection of butterflies without any protection. This one which for many years guests in Schaffgotsch’s palace in Cieplice could see. In the same village in 1947 KBW found collection of pictures. People said that some of them were from Wawel. In the village people are saying about mysterious visits of German people and at once holes in ground in the forests which we can find after their visits.

This ground still hides a lot of secrets. Somewhere around is “ the crack”, somewhere here disappeared secret transports seen by Henryk S. Some of treasure hunters think that well without water is just discharge stack of the crack, and one of the covered by ruins wells is just the entrance to that still very rich underground…

Author: Marek Chromicz

„NJ” nr 33, 17-23.08.1999, p.12.

Welcome in Przeździedza!

You have decided to visit small and calm village situated on foothills called Pogórze Kaczawskie in Sudety. Przeździedza is in picturesque valley of river Bóbr which you can find within Landscape Park of Bóbr’s Valley. It’s also in area of protected habitats called NATURE 2000. About natural virtues we can talk a lot – you can visit many castles and even more palaces here… Nevertheless let’s stop for a while in this small village which can supply you many wonderful impressions.